compensation: $500 per month stipend employment type: part-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
POSITION: LAW Advocates seeks an outgoing, self-motivated individual to coordinate pro bono legal services for low-income Island County residents. This is a good position for someone with a passion for equal justice looking for a very part-time position.
ORGANIZATION: LAW Advocates is a non-profit organization that provides free civil legal assistance to low-income Whatcom County residents. Pursuant to a memorandum of understanding between LAW Advocates and the Volunteer Lawyer Program of Island County, LAW Advocates is also responsible for providing services to low-income Island County residents in partnership with the Island County VLP Board of Directors.
RESPONSIBLE TO: LAW Advocates Executive Director
Coordinate Client Services for Island County Matters
• Coordinate two to three “Lawyer of the Day” clinics each month in Island County, including locating and reserving appropriate space, arranging for volunteer attorneys to staff those clinics, and being present at clinics, as necessary, to facilitate their smooth operation
• Review intakes from CLEAR, the Coordinated Legal Education, Advice & Referral hotline.
• Schedule eligible clients for Lawyer of the Day clinics, place cases for direct representation when possible, and make referrals to other Island County resources
• Promptly respond to client inquiries and questions related to Island County matters in a timely fashion.
• Communicate with volunteer attorneys regarding the progress of their pro bono cases
• Maintain confidential electronic and physical files including using LegalServer case management software
Island County Board Relations
• Attend quarterly board meetings
Volunteer Development and Outreach
• Maintain cooperative relationships with community partners in Island County. Network with other community agencies as appropriate to facilitate a positive image and the provision of quality legal services
• Support the Board of Directors of the Island County Volunteer Lawyer Program to engage in volunteer development, outreach, marketing, fundraising, and strategic planning by providing data and materials as requested
• Coordinator must have a laptop and ability to set up a Google Voice phone number
• Experience in the legal field and/or social services preferred, but not required